About My Book

Learn more about my first book, Six Pack: Emergence.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Arrowverse 'Other World' Chapter 10 - Supergirl

Disclaimer: This is the tenth chapter in a story about an "other world" based on the Arrowverse, the CW shows that focus on DC superheroes. I am writing this as my way of paying homage to my fandom for the Arrowverse. The character names Supergirl, Green Arrow, The Flash, Canary and Brainiac are trademarks of DC Comics. These chapters are free to read, they will not be published in book format, nor will any revenue be generated from the chapters. If there are legal issues involved with the usage of these characters, please email me at bwmorris at mail dot com and I will cease with the writing. Critiquing of my writing is welcomed and may be left in the comments.



When George Mortensen told me he'd arrange for a meeting with Mark Gregory, this wasn't what I had in mind.

I stare out into the sea of humans that surround the concrete steps leading up to a tall, beige building with many windows -- a building that George told me is Hub City Hall. Some of these humans hold microphones, video cameras and other equipment. They are closest to the podium and the rows of chairs that sit at the top of the steps. Behind them are countless individuals, many holding up small devices called smartphones. I've learned these communication devices are also used for taking photos, which seems a rather odd combination.

George and I are off to the left side. I peer over the eyeglasses he has made me wear. It has been difficult adjusting to them. They may help others with poor vision, but I have no such problem and everything looks different when I stare through the lenses.

These glasses remind me how many other adjustments I've had to make. The hotel room George arranged for me to stay at is quite different from the isolated fortress I've made my home for three years, with comfortable living quarters but technology far less advanced than what I had on Krypton. Still, I have managed to live with the likes of a flatscreen television and the laptop he gave me.

The same can't be said for the automobile ride we took to Hub City. Sure, the seats were comfortable and I got to learn more about Earth music on the way, but the ride took so long -- about three Earth hours to get here. I could have made the trip sooner if I had been allowed to fly, but George still insists that I keep a low profile.

George is dressed in a suit and tie, his arms folded, his eyes tranquil, his facial features relaxed. The way I keep straining my neck and eyes, trying to get a closer look at the podium hundreds of feet away, I can only imagine my impatience is quite a contrast to his calm posture.

He touches my shoulder. "Hey, just a reminder that I talked to the Hub City mayor. She's going to arrange for me to meet with Mark after this is done."

"You know the mayor?" I ask.

George nods. "While I don't know everyone in Washington, local connections are easier to make."

I can't help but wonder what he means by that and if that route might have led to visiting with Mark sooner. "You will take me with you?"

"I will." He gives me a reassuring smile. "I promised that you would get the chance to meet him. Hopefully we can meet in private and you can explain everything to him."

Meet in private. Do we have to keep everything a secret? As much as I'm glad I've had a chance to observe more of human life, I would love nothing more than to reveal my true self to the world. For now, though, I will do as George says because, even if I don't understand his approach, I want to trust him.

My eyes turn back toward the crowd. "I wonder how many more of these people will want a private meeting."

George points at the humans standing up front. "Those people are here to cover this event and will get their quotes during his speech. Some will ask questions when he's finished." He gestures to the rest of the crowd. "And most of these people just want to get an up close look at a member of Congress."

I glance at George. "You say that like he's what you call a celebrity."

He shrugs. "In some cases, our lawmakers are."

"That's odd. On Krypton, those who made the laws were to be respected, but not worshipped." I adjust my glasses. "Truth be told, nobody on Krypton wanted to be worshipped, to be thought of a celebrity."

He gives a quick nod. "Sometimes I wish people on Earth thought like that, too."

My head turns back toward the podium, where I notice several people are taking seats at the chairs that surround it. A young woman heads to the podium.

George gestures toward to her. "That's the mayor."

Before I say anything, I spot Mark Gregory. I should know what he looks like by now, given how many times I've watched him on those news broadcasts. He has blue eyes and blond hair,is clean shaven  wears a navy blue suit coat with matching pants, a white shirt and a red tie. Mark stands to the side and clasps his hands in front of him.

The mayor adjusts the microphone on the podium. As she does, I notice movement out of the corner of my eye. Turning my gaze for a moment, I see a man dressed in a black jacket and pants, along with dark glasses. He takes a position a few feet away from George and I. That's when I feel a chill down my spine, like I should know that man is up to no good. My eyes stay fixed upon him, observing his behavior. He's twisting his head from one side to the other, like he's expecting something to happen.

George nudges me. "Tara, he's about to speak."

I stare at the man in black for a moment, but shrug it off. Turning back to the podium, I listen to the mayor addressing the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen, as mayor of Hub City, it is my pleasure to introduce our guest at this time. We are always appreciative of the work that Mark Gregory has done for us and how he represents all of our citizens in Washington. Without further ado, let me introduce you to Mr. Mark Gregory."

A round of applauses follows her remarks. Mark makes his way to the podium and shakes hands with the mayor. She steps aside and takes one of the empty chairs. Mark stands behind the podium. His face doesn't show much emotion and his words sound wooden as he speaks.

"Citizens of Hub City, I thank you for welcoming me. As you know, we have been discussing many issues in Washington, such as the tax plan that some believe will create more jobs, but I believe will do more to run up the budget deficit and take away from programs that help people like you."

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice the man in black moving closer to the crowd, then slipping past people. He takes small steps, like he doesn't want anyone to notice him.

Mark continues, "In particular, I am concerned that programs we have created to help protect the environment could be jeopardized. The Earth is the only planet we have and we must do whatever is necessary to ensure we don't lose it."

The man in black now pushes his way through the crowd. I gesture toward him. "George, do you see that?"

George's eyes remain focused on Mark. "See what?"

"That man going through the crowd. What is he doing?"

George's eyes follow the man, who now moves closer to the front. "Perhaps he wants a closer look."

I want to press the issue, but I notice movement to my right. My head spins and there's another man dressed in the same black attire and dark shades. Now I know something is wrong.

Mark doesn't stop talking. "With that said, I understand that technology can do a lot to help us protect the earth. But I remind everyone that, as we continue to explore and research technology, we keep in mind that while it can do a lot of good, it can do us harm if we are not careful. That brings me to..."

That's when the first man in black pushes past those in front of the crowd and raises an object in his hand. Next thing I know, I hear a crackling sound.

He's got a gun!

When he fires the pistol, screams and shouts go up. People in the crowd scatter about, some pushing past one another, others diving to the ground Several men dressed in dark blue uniforms and wearing gold badges move forward, approaching the man in black. Others wearing clothing similar to Mark's rush toward him and pull him away from the podium, while others hurry to protect the mayor.

The second man in black unzips his jacket and reveals a larger gun -- I believe it's a rifle of some kind. He takes it and fires repeated shots into the air and shouts, "Take everyone out!"

Most of the humans have scattered, but I notice a few of them draw out rifles and pistols of their own. All of them are mostly male and dressed in black, like the two men before them.

George grabs me by the arm. "Remember what I told you about keeping a low profile."

I spin my head to meet his gaze. How I want to jump into action right now and protect the people. "What about it?"

"Come with me. I brought my gear just in case. There, you can break out your suit, too."

He takes off running, almost dragging me along. I shake off his grasp and run alongside him, not sure if this is such a good idea.

That's when a strong gust of wind kicks up behind me. At least, I think it was wind. I stop in my tracks and can make out a red blur, going after the men in black, knocking them down one by one. The blur skids to a halt, revealing that speedster from Central City. She is dressed in a red uniform that covers her from head to toe. The mask that covers her only reveals her brown eyes and the brown skin that surrounds them. A black ponytail sticks out through the back of her mask.

I hear George shout, "Tara, come on!"

I stare for a moment at the speedster. She rushes about again, charging at the men in black, like she doesn't care about her own safety. At least she's keeping them occupied, though I have no idea how long she will last, even with that superspeed.

Running along the sidewalk, I hurry to catch up with George, who has already disappeared around the corner of a building. He parked his car in an alley, away from everyone else. And when I round the corner, there he is, by the trunk of his vehicle. He pulls out a square object from his pocket and pushes a button. The trunk pops opens. I rush to his side and, sure enough, his bow and arrows, along with his green, hooded jacket and black pants, are inside.

George gestures at me. "Don't wait for me. I'll catch up."

"Why would you duck away like this?" I ask.

He removes his suit coat and pulls at his tie. "I told you it's important to keep our identities a secret. Now you remember what I told you?"

Break out the suit. He said he like he meant it. "All right, I'm on my way."

I remove my glasses and hand them off to him, then run up the alley. Pulling at my blouse, the buttons tear off and I throw it aside, revealing my blue top with the red shield -- the symbol of the House of El, the symbol of hope. My red cap unfurls behind me. I unfasten the white belt around my hips and pull it off. Next, I unbutton my jeans, revealing my red skirt, and leap into the air. The jeans slide off my legs and my white shoes fall off, leaving only the red stockings on my feet.

Up toward the sky I soar, my cape stretched out behind me. I bank around a building and fly through the air back to city hall. A breeze whips through my hair and pushes against my face. The joy of flight comes to me for a moment, but only a moment. I know what I have to do now.

It isn't long before I encounter the scene I left. People still scatter about and I notice a couple of the men in navy blue uniforms who are down, while others are attempting to hold off the men in black. The female speedster still darts about the scene, knocking the men in black off their feet.

But there's somebody else on the scene. As I come lower to the ground, I recognize who it is-- the man in the yellow jacket and pants who frequents Hub City at night. He takes on two men at a time, swinging his arms and legs about to block shots and deliver his own. At one point, he ducks underneath a man's punch, pivots and unleashes a sonic scream. I can hear the loud, piercing cry increase in volume as I approach the area.

Good thing, too, because a man in black has raised a rifle and points it at the man in yellow.

I land behind him, turn to face the man in black and feel several bullets bounce off my chest. It's like somebody tapping my chest rapidly.

The man in black stares at me, almost in shock. I rush forward and grab the rifle, wrenching it from his grasp. He takes a swing at me, but I block the attempt, then connect with a solid blow to the jaw, knocking him down.

That's when I spot another man in black, his pistol raised. He shoots, but I walk toward him, unfazed by the rain of gunfire. When his gun empties, he throws it toward me, but I catch it and crush it in my fingers. That's when he tries to land punches, but I stare back, his blows to my ribs having no effect. I grab him by the lapels of his jacket and shove him backward. He flies through the air and crashes to the sidewalk.

My head turns and I notice the man dressed in yellow taking down another man in black. At one point, this man in yellow does a backflip -- almost like he can fly himself -- to avoid a kick, then opens his mouth and lets loose a sonic scream. The man in black is hurled toward the ground.

The man in yellow spots me and gives a quick smile. "I think I like your outfit better."

I can't understand why he's talking like this in the heat of a battle. But I can't worry about that now. In all of the confusion, I've lost track of what happened to Mark, the mayor and the others who were with them.

That's when I spot two of the men in black and I get a lump in my throat. Because one of them has a hold of the mayor. The other has Mark. I clench my fists, ready to make a move, but one of the men in black points his pistol toward Mark's head. "Don't move or I'll shoot him!"

A gust kicks up to my left. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice the female speedster. To my right, somebody else steps alongside me -- it's the man in yellow.

I hold up my hand. "Let them go. You don't want to do this."

The other man in black grabs the mayor by her hair and shoves the gun under her chin. "Back away now!"

The female speedster's voice sounds low-pitched. "What do you want?"

"Yeah," the man in yellow says, "we know Intergang is never up to any good."

The man who holds Mark at gunpoint presses the pistol to Mark's temple. "We have a job to do. You're in the way. Now back off!"

I'm not sure what to do next. Even with my powers, I don't think I can get those men away without hurting Mark or the mayor. My super strength, my heat vision, anything -- if I'm not precise, I may not be able to save them.

That's when I see an arrow soar through the air. It strikes the hand of the man who holds the mayor at gunpoint. He drops the pistol, recoils and relases his grasp on the mayor's hair

The second man is about to pull the trigger, but another arrow sticks into his shoulder. He stumbles back in pain, letting go of Mark.

Another arrow with a line attached to it sails downward and embeds itself in a crack in the sidewalk. Next thing I know, the Green Arrow slides down the line and lands in front of the men.

Mark and the mayor have scrambled away by now. The Green Arrow stands before them, his hood over his head, slightly concealing his masked face. "You'll want to surrender now," he says.

The man in black with the arrow in his hand charges instead. The Green Arrow meets him, delivering several shots to his ribs before landing a shot between the eyes that floors his adversary.

The other man in black has pulled the arrow from his shoulder, yelling in pain. But before he can make a move, the Green Arrow raises his bow and, in one quick motion, draws out an arrow from his quiver, loads it and fires. A line shoots out from the tip and binds the man in black, forcing him to the ground.

The other man has managed to get to his knees. He pulls the arrow out of his hand and reaches for his pistol. The Green Arrow pivots and raises the bow again, firing an arrow. This time, the tip unfurls into a boxing glove, which catches the man in black upside the head. He hits the sidewalk and is motionless.

Green Arrow takes a breath and nods toward the three of us. "Are you all right?"

I don't say a word. The first thing I do is rush to Mark's side. He and the mayor managed to take cover among the bushes. I help him to his feet. But while I expect him to be shaken, nothing in his face suggests any fear or anxiety. It's almost like this whole experience didn't bother him. Compare that to the mayor, who is catching her breath as the man in yellow helps her up.

"Are you all right?" I ask Mark.

He stares at me for a moment. "I'm fine." He still speaks in montones. His eyes remain fixed on the symbol on my chest.

"You sure you're all right?" I ask.

He blinks. "Who are you?"

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to answer that. Do I tell him my real name? The first thing that pops into my mind is that name Cissie suggested -- even if it's a name I don't like. "Call me Supergirl."

He brushes off his suit. The Green Arrow is now by our side and he speaks in a lowered tone of voice. "Mr. Gregory, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, I'm unharmed." He straightens out his tie.

The mayor puts a hand over her heart and takes several breaths. "Thank you all." She nods toward at the man in yellow. "You're the Canary, aren't you?"

The Canary grins. "Yeah, first time we've met, I think."

I glance about, wondering what happened to the speedster. That's when I spot her a few feet away, holding one of the men in black against the building. She has her right hand raised up near his chest. I hear her grunting. "What are you doing here?"

The man in black stutters a bit. "Please don't hurt me."

I rush toward the speedster and pull her away from the man. "Hey, that's enough."

She fixes her eyes upon me. "I'm trying to get information."

"You're threatening him. He may have tried to hurt the mayor and the congressman, but that doesn't mean you have to do more than subdue."

Then I notice something odd. The man's eyes glaze over, almost like he's gone into a trance. He speaks in a robotic tone -- more so than how Mark sounded.

"You organics shall be terminated," he says. "For too long, your kind has done nothing but harm to your world. Harm that happened to other worlds as well. And it cannot be allowed again."

I've heard some of these humans say strange things, but nothing like that. "What was that?" I ask.

The man's eyes soften and he shakes his head. He blinks. "What's going on here?"

The speedster stares hard at him and is about to grab him again, but I pull her back. "Don't do it. Too many people are watching. Look around."

I gesture toward the few people who remain on the scene. Those dressed in the blue uniforms with badges are subduing the men in black. But other people stare at us.

That's when a curious thing happens. A woman starts to clap. Then a man beside her joins in. More applause goes up from the people on the scene. Even some of those dressed in the blue uniforms have joined in. My cheeks start to warm and I can't help but feel a sense of pride.

I glance back toward the speedster. "We saved them all."

Canary, who has a bigger grin on his face, walks over to the speedster. "She's right, you know. Enjoy the moment."

The speedster's eyes scan the crowd and she relaxes. She gives a small nod of acknowledgement to the applauding people. I think she's trying to hide a smile.

The Green Arrow comes over to my side. "Nice work, everyone." He gestures toward Canary and the speedster. "I'd like to get to know you all, but right now, you should come with the rest of us. We can talk to the mayor and Mr. Gregory and explain what we know." Then he turns to me. "After that, we should regroup at my place. I suspect something bigger is happening."

Canary points at Green Arrow. "And who put you in charge?"

I take a deep breath. "Maybe we should do as he says."

The speedster mutters, "Why should we?"

I stare at Green Arrow for a moment. "Because I trust him and you can too."

Green Arrow gives a quick nod and smile. Even with that mask he wears, I can see enough of his eyes. They remain calm, even after everything that's gone down. It reassures me that I wasn't wrong to put my faith into him. That perhaps he was right -- the best thing was to reveal myself at the proper moment.

But there's another matter I'm curious about. What the man in black said. And the way he talked. The tone he used sounded a lot like the voice of our artificial intelligence on Krypton -- Brainiac.

To be continued in Chapter 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment