About My Book

Learn more about my first book, Six Pack: Emergence.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Twenty Questions With Debbie Manber Kupfer

This week, I have Debbie Manber Kupfer for a Twenty Questions session. Debbie is the author of The P.A.W.S. saga, a four-book series, and has written several short story collections. She is having a special sale for the series a week, starting March 26, in which you can get each book in the series for 99 cents at Amazon (or free if you have Kindle Unlimited). You may learn more about the sale at the end of the Twenty Questions session.

You may also check our her website, Paws4Thought, to learn more about her books, puzzles and other interests. She also talks to different authors about their work and you may find more titles that interest you.

Now let's hear from Debbie about her work.


1. How did you get interested in writing?

I’ve been writing ever since I was small. The first story I remember writing was about turning into a ladybug (see even back then I liked shapeshifters). I sent that little story to the Puffin Post and got a mention in the magazine. I was so thrilled.

2. What inspired you to come up with this story?

Back in October 2012 I had an idea about a young girl receiving a silver cat charm from her grandmother. I knew the charm was important and over the next month the story started enfolding in my head. I went to the zoo with my son that month and I started telling him the story of P.A.W.S. and then the next month in November I began writing the first draft as part of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month.)

3. Tell me about the main character, Miri, and what inspired you to create her.

Miri’s a lot like me. She’s clumsy, messy and spends a lot of her childhood in a dream world of her own creation. She’s also bullied as a kid, as was I, and a lot of her experiences are based on my own (though sadly I don’t have magic, other than maybe writing my stories.)


4. What characters, other than Miri, did you find enjoyable to write as you progressed with the book?

Oh, I love my characters – the good and the evil and those in between. Some of my favorites include Joey Marks, the animagus kangaroo exchange student from Australia (who I created for my son, Joey, who shares a lot of his characteristics), Ian the animagus chimp that lives in St. Louis zoo, and my old wild Welsh warlock, Gromer the Green, who first appears in book 2 of the P.A.W.S. Saga, Argentum.

5. What are some of the themes you explored in writing the book?

Each book in the series has a slightly different focus. In book 1, there is a underlying theme of rising up to bullies and abusers, both for teens and adults.

6. What were some things you learned as you wrote and edited the book?

That I can do it! All through my life I’ve written stories, BUT until P.A.W.S. I’d started many but never managed to finish a novel. With P.A.W.S. I took the NaNoWriMo challenge for the first time and that helped me get the story down and keep going until I reached the end of the first draft.

7. What do you find is the right environment for you to write?

By my computer in the morning with the internet turned off. The internet (and particularly Facebook) is my biggest distraction.

8. Are there specific programs or tools you find useful in helping you with the writing process?

Just a lot of tea (and the occasional bribe of dark chocolate.)

9. What have you found to be useful methods for promoting your writing?

My best promo for ebooks is a combination of occasional 99 cents sales for the ebooks (like the one I’m having now) with a little paid advertising. I also enjoy doing real life events at schools, bookstores, libraries and conventions. I’m doing several of these in April to help release my new picture book, Adana the Earth Dragon.

10. What are some famous books or authors you enjoyed or have inspired you?

Favorite authors include Douglas Adams, JK Rowling, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Cornelia Funke.

11. Are there any aspiring or independent authors whose books you've read that you've liked and think others should check out?

Oh yes, these days I mostly read indie authors. Some of my favorites include R.R. Virdi, E.A. Copen, Jen Ponce, Rebecca Jaycox, Michelle Proulx, Mirren Hogan, Misha Burnett, M.A. Ray, and Robert Franks. Really guys, check these out. They are awesome.

12. What advice would you give to those who want to write a novel before they get started?

Just do it. I’m a cancer survivor. For years I thought that writing a novel would be something I’d do in the future, once the kids were older and I had more time. Going through cancer treatment taught me that if I really wanted to write and publish I needed to do it now because you never know how long you’ve got. So new writer, sit down at your computer or with pen and paper and start writing words. (Oh and try NaNoWriMo – Camp Nano is in April and is a great way to get started.)


13. I've seen you written several anthologies as well -- in general, what do you find enjoyable about writing these anthologies?

I’ve put together a few short story collections of my own. (Tea & Dark Chocolate, Will There Be Watermelons on Mars? and Tales from P.A.W.S.) Plus I’ve participated in a number of group anthologies including the Sins of Time series of which I’m not just a contributor, but also the editor of the series.

I like writing short stories in between working on my novels as it gives me the opportunity to experiment in other genres. My main series is YA urban fantasy, but in my stories I’ve dabbled in humor, sci-fi, horror and a little literary fiction.

14. Tell me more about Paws4Puzzles and the work that Yuri Shamne provides for your site.

When I’m not writing fiction I write puzzles for Penny Press magazines and sometimes create custom puzzles of different kinds for clients. Paws4Puzzles is puzzle central, where the puzzly part of me takes over.

I recently was privileged to meet the Russian artist and puzzler, Yuri Shamne, online. I was wowed by his talent and now we’re collaborating in a weekly column on blog, Wednesdays with Yuri.

15. I can tell you are a cat lover -- tell me what it is you like the most about cats.

Well, they’re furry and cute, but also independent. My kitty, Miri Billie Joe, mostly likes to do her own thing, but appreciates having some human servants around to do her bidding.

16. What are some of the differences you noticed about life in the United Kingdom versus life in the United States?

Little things that bug me. In England you can pretty much get a warm drink (tea and coffee) at any restaurant. Here I have to search. And even more so for vegetarian food. London is about a gazillion times more veggie friendly than St. Louis. I enjoy London a lot when I visit each year. But my friends over there say it’s because I don’t live there full time. Circumstances led to me moving to the States and while I don’t hate it I don’t like the current mood since the election.

17. What was it like to live in Israel and how does that compare to other places you've lived?

Ah … Israel. I lived in Israel for eight years and my mum still lives there, so I go back and visit each year. There are obviously many differences, but one of the main ones that strikes me is that in Israel there’s more spontaneity less planning. In Israel it was not unusual for friends to come by without making advanced plans and I’d do the same. Here (and in England) it would be odd to turn up on someone’s doorstep without calling first.

18. Is there a particular type of tea you prefer -- and do you find it's the perfect drink to have while you are writing?

I get through about a gallon of hot tea a day especially when I’m writing. I like it strong, British style with milk. (Tetley’s or PG Tips)

19. Tell me a little more about your family and in what ways they support your writing.

I live in St. Louis with my husband (who is a St. Louis native and how I ended up here), son, daughter and the really ruler of the household, our kitty, Miri Billie Joe.

My kids are immensely helpful when it comes to my writing. My daughter often acts a sounding board for my ideas and encourages me to write. In fact it was she who originally encouraged me to start writing P.A.W.S. My son, Joey is my puzzle partner. We wrote a puzzle book together, Paws 4 Logic, and plan another in the future.

20. Who would win a battle of superhero skills: Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman?

Wonder Woman for the win!





No comments:

Post a Comment